AFFORDABLE STRIPING & SEALING, LLC
4440 E Alexander Rd
Suite A , Las Vegas, NV 89115
Contractor license NV #67803
Copyright 2019 – Affordable Striping & Sealing, LLC
You are probably aware of the serious damage that can be done to an asphalt pavement if crack repairs are not given a high priority. You may have heard that asphalt cracks can be filled or sealed, but you may be wondering about the differences between asphalt crack sealing and filling. Understanding the differences and similarities between the two repair methods can help you decide which one is right for your specific needs.
The first similarity between the two methods is that they are both used to close an open crack in an asphalt pavement. Both methods are also considered part of a robust asphalt maintenance program. The basic steps to prepare the crack are virtually identical, and they are listed below.
1. All vegetation, dirt, and trash will be removed from the crack.
2. If necessary, a router is used to smooth the sides of the crack.
3. A router may also be used to create a reservoir to hold the fill material.
4. The crack is thoroughly cleaned, and it is then allowed to dry if water was introduced as part of the cleaning.
There are a few minor differences between the two procedures, but there are also some significant differences.
1. The materials used are quite different. Crack sealer is a flexible material that is capable of expanding and contracting in unison with the pavement without breaking the bond that it has with the interior of the crack. Crack filler is more rigid.
2. Crack filling works best on inactive cracks. Cracks that are still active, or cracks that fluctuate a great deal with seasonal changes, may not be ideal candidates for filling.
3. Asphalt crack sealing typically provides a longer-lasting repair than filling. Due to the rigidity of fill materials, they can lose their bond, develop their own cracks, or be dislodged from the crack.
4. Crack filling is less expensive than sealing. However, because crack sealing lasts longer than filling, the difference in the initial cost is typically offset over time.
5. There are also differences in how the repair materials are installed. When filling a crack, asphalt maintenance contractors typically place the material in the void created by the crack, and little or no material extends onto the adjacent pavement. When sealing a crack, contractors apply some of the material to the surrounding pavement, and they may or may not place material inside the crack’s void.
If you are wondering which repair method is best for your budget, your plans for your pavement, and your timeline, contact Affordable Striping & Sealing for assistance. We are one of the Vegas area’s most-respected asphalt maintenance companies. We are known for delivering exceptional results and exemplary service on every project. In addition to asphalt crack repair, we offer parking lot striping, asphalt sealcoating, pavement markings, parking lot layout and design, road markings, bumper blocks, traffic signs, and parking lot maintenance programs. We do not charge for quotes, so submit your request today. You can complete the online form, email Estimating@AffordableStriping.com, or call 702-222-9009.