AFFORDABLE STRIPING & SEALING, LLC
4440 E Alexander Rd
Suite A , Las Vegas, NV 89115
Contractor license NV #67803
Copyright 2019 – Affordable Striping & Sealing, LLC
Periodic applications of fresh sealant should be part of your routine parking lot maintenance. Sealants are economical, but they are a highly effective way to protect asphalt pavement from the sun’s rays, automotive fluids, hot summer temperatures and other things that can damage your pavement. They are also an excellent way to bring back the dark color that your pavement had when it was first installed. However, despite what many people believe, the weather in Las Vegas is not always conducive to applying sealants. Sealants are touchy products to apply if you want the results to be long-lasting and attractive, so contractors must be certain that the weather conditions are acceptable before they start work.
Typically, contractors plan to start their sealcoat seasons around the middle of March and end the season around the first of November. Although Las Vegas weather can provide an isolated day or two during the winter months on which sealants can be applied, it would be a mistake to count on having sealants applied in the dead of winter.
• Sealants are particularly sensitive to cold. The temperature needs to be a minimum of 50 degrees Fahrenheit and rising throughout the job. Furthermore, the temperature cannot dip below 50 degrees for at least 18 hours after the sealant is applied. Overnight lows frequently drop below that point from late November through early March. Exposure to cold temperatures can prevent the particles in sealants from knitting together to create a strong, hard film. Furthermore, the cold can leave sealants with a gray or mottled appearance.
• Rain is another problem that can arise. Pavements need to be dry when sealants are applied and remain dry for the first 24 hours or so. Although Las Vegas does not see too many rainy days, December, January, February and March are usually the wettest months.
• Sealants need direct sunlight to cure correctly, so contractors prefer to avoid asphalt sealcoating on cloudy days. Compared to other months, the percent of possible sunshine is reduced from November through February. Part of this reduction is the normal difference between the seasons, but part of it is also due to the increased probability of rainy weather.
• The condition of the pavement and the scope of the job can complicate out-of-season sealcoating. Perhaps you have numerous cracks that need to be repaired prior to the application of the sealant, or you want the contractor to also make major modifications to your parking lot design and apply new markings; the additional time may affect the feasibility of scheduling the project during the winter months.
• When you consider all of the above factors, it is easy to see why asphalt contractors often try to schedule sealcoat jobs for specific months. This is not to say that every day during those months will be perfect for the task; for example, it may not be possible to apply sealants on brutally hot days without taking some extra steps. Furthermore, experienced contractors know how to apply sealants when conditions are marginal, so work can sometimes be performed during other months, especially if the job is relatively small. Regardless of the month, if you have questions about whether you can schedule work, it is always best to consult a reputable contractor to discuss your preferred timing.
Affordable Striping & Sealing focuses on all phases of parking lot design and maintenance, including asphalt crack sealing, crack filling, asphalt maintenance, asphalt sealcoating, parking lot striping and pavement markings. We also offer road markings, traffic sign installation and bumper blocks. We have an exemplary reputation for delivering high-quality results at affordable prices. To request a free quote on your next project, submit the online form or call 702-222-9009.