AFFORDABLE STRIPING & SEALING, LLC
4440 E Alexander Rd
Suite A , Las Vegas, NV 89115
Contractor license NV #67803
Copyright 2019 – Affordable Striping & Sealing, LLC
If you have or are planning to install an asphalt pavement, you may have heard that periodic applications of a quality sealcoat can provide numerous benefits. However, you may be wondering whether there are any drawbacks to sealing your asphalt pavement.
Asphalt sealants are a mix of proprietary ingredients, sand, and water. If needed, your contractor can incorporate additives for various purposes, including enhancing the depth of the sealant’s color, dealing with curing in areas receiving heavy shade, or adjusting for borderline weather conditions. Sealants go on as a liquid, but they turn into a hard shell as they cure. These sealants should not be confused with asphalt crack sealing; crack sealing is an entirely different procedure that uses very different materials.
There are very few drawbacks to sealing your asphalt pavement, and any drawbacks are extremely minor in light of the benefits you can obtain.
1. Your pavement cannot be sealed until it is a few months old. New asphalt pavement needs time to cure before a sealant is applied, and this time can be as long as one year although a few months is more common in the Las Vegas area. Until the sealant is applied, you will want to be diligent about cleaning, inspecting, and maintaining your pavement.
2. Sealcoat is not a permanent treatment, so the procedure will need to be repeated periodically. The use that your pavement receives and your pavement’s overall condition are important factors in determining the correct interval for sealing. On average, parking lot sealcoating lasts between two and three years. However, if you have a busy lot, you may need to have fresh sealant applied to high-traffic areas every year. Conversely, if your lot receives little traffic, you may only need a fresh application every four or five years. Your contractor can evaluate your pavement and recommend an appropriate schedule.
3. Your pavement needs to be in relatively good condition before a sealant is applied. This means that potholes, alligatored areas, and significant cracks need to be repaired first. If parking lot maintenance has been neglected for an extensive period, it may be more economical to have your contractor install an asphalt overlay than to pay for a multitude of individual repairs. If you choose to have an overlay installed, remember to seal it after it has cured.
4. You will need to have your parking lot striping and markings reapplied after sealing the pavement. In Las Vegas, most painted pavement markings need to be refreshed about every two years. Since this corresponds to the average interval for sealing a pavement, this should not present much of an inconvenience.
As you can see, the drawbacks of sealing your asphalt pavement are minor. For these relatively inconsequential drawbacks, you can reap the following benefits.
1. You could double or even triple the life of your asphalt pavement. Multiple studies have confirmed that a new asphalt pavement can last at least twice as long as one that never receives effective maintenance and timely repairs. Sealants block damaging UV rays, help prevent damage from automotive fluids, and make your pavement more resistant to marks left by hot tires.
2. Sealants double as a cosmetic treatment for your pavement. Exposure to the sun can rob your asphalt pavement of its rich, dark color, but sealants can bring it back. Furthermore, sealants can cover small surface imperfections and hairline cracks to enhance the pavement’s appearance.
3. Sealants help prevent cracks and potholes from developing. Asphalt pavement that is dried out by exposure to sunlight becomes brittle and more prone to cracking. Pavement that is softened by exposure to automotive fluids begins to crumble, increasing the likelihood that potholes will develop.
4. Professional applications of sealants are economical. Furthermore, since your contractor has supplied you with an appropriate schedule, it will be easier for you to budget for the procedure than to scramble for funds when you need an unexpected major repair or reconstruction.
Affordable Striping & Sealing specializes in parking lot maintenance for customers throughout the greater Las Vegas area. Our services include sealcoating, asphalt crack sealing and filling, parking lot design and layout, traffic sign and bumper block installation, road markings, and parking lot striping and marking. We are known for our integrity, our high-quality work, and our superior customer service. For a free quote, submit the online form or call 702-222-9009.