AFFORDABLE STRIPING & SEALING, LLC
4440 E Alexander Rd
Suite A , Las Vegas, NV 89115
Contractor license NV #67803
Copyright 2019 – Affordable Striping & Sealing, LLC
Asphalt has been successfully used as a paving material for centuries. It has a reputation for being an economical choice for streets, parking lots and driveways, but it has also been the subject of some widely believed misconceptions. We would like to take this opportunity to dispel some of the most common myths about asphalt.
• Myth #1: The life of an asphalt pavement can be measured in single digits. In reality, a properly installed asphalt pavement that receives adequate maintenance and needed repairs can last a very long time. How long the pavement will last depends on the quality of the initial installation, whether the pavement receives the proper care and the load to which the surface is subjected. It is not uncommon for a residential driveway that is repaired when needed and protected by a sealant to last 30 to 35 years. There are heavily trafficked asphalt roadways that have lasted for more than 60 years, thanks to proactive maintenance.
• Myth #2: Asphalt can only be installed during summer months. It is true that asphalt cures somewhat better during hot weather, but asphalt can actually be installed as long as the ground is not frozen. In the Las Vegas area, this means that asphalt pavement can be installed virtually year-round.
• Myth #3: Asphalt plants produce fumes that can cause cancer. According to the EPA, asphalt plants do not produce dangerous fumes, and they are not the source of any significant amount of air pollutants.
• Myth #4: Asphalt is more expensive than concrete because asphalt relies on costly petroleum products. Asphalt is the most recycled material in the U.S. As such, it requires very little new material to be introduced. Because the amount of new petroleum products is so small, price variations due to price fluctuations for crude oil do not significantly influence asphalt prices although it is impossible to avoid all effects of a volatile, dynamic market.
• Myth #5: Asphalt is harmful to the environment. In reality, asphalt is an environmentally friendly paving material. It is completely recyclable, and according to the EPA, recycled asphalt pavement totals more than 90 million tons each year. Not only does recycling keep asphalt out of landfills, but the process also uses additional materials, such as tires, shingles and glass, that would likely end up in landfills as well. Furthermore, asphalt does not release any toxins into the soil or water.
If you have heard any other myths about asphalt or just want to learn whether asphalt is the right choice for your project, the friendly, knowledgeable staff at Affordable Striping & Sealing would be happy to answer your questions. We are a full-service asphalt maintenance company providing quality work at competitive prices to customers in the greater Las Vegas area. Our services include asphalt sealcoating, parking lot striping and marking, crack filling and parking blocks. You can reach us at 702-222-9009, or if you prefer, please ask for a free quotation.
In the Las Vegas area…Affordable Striping & Sealing is the asphalt maintenance professionals!